Monday, July 17, 2006


MEETINGS WITH HEADS OF MOVIE PRODUCTION COMPANIES

I'm back.

Where to begin...?

I meant to blog while meeting with producers, managers, etc. in LA from July 12-15, 2006, but I've been busy.

The long and the short of it was: I met. I saw. I learned.
LA's also still expensive and has lots of traffic--except on Sundays.
And I didn't notice till the first day how many songs there are with the word "California" in it when I played my rental car radio.

July 11.
I checked into my room at the Orchid Suites in Hollywood and saw my cousin who works as an events planner at Universal Studios. We caught up and she generously offered to contact an assistant she knows--sort of--at Focus Features Productions, which is co-headed by James Schmaus, who co-wrote and produced "Crouching Tiger." He also collaborates with Ang Lee. Hope he likes my Chinese Joan of Arc script.

I plan on pitching it to Focus Features after I get some distance from my script and then rewrite/revise it for the Chesterfield, Scriptapalooza, Austin, and Nichols contests next year.

July 12.
I met the people in my ScriptForSale group for the first time. They were OK. A whole mix of personalities and talent. We then met with independent producers, managers, etc. Very interesting. Lots of good stuff. They work with lower budgets and want good stories, but not necessarily high-priced A-list talent. Meetings went from 10 A - 5:30 P. Whew!

On my own, I went to L'Ermitage Hotel in Beverly Hills to meet with an entertainment attorney from a top talent firm. She'd contacted me on the same day the UCLA professional programs office put out a
press release in the Hollywood Reporter about the UCLA contest winners this year.

Following mapquest (ugh) I got lost a few times on the side streets, but got directions here and there and still showed up 20 minutes early for my 7:30 P appointment. I asked a few women if they were the attorney, but no dice. I had some nice conversations, though.

At 7:40 P, I called the attorney on her cell. She said she saw me then and we started talking.

Very personable.

I'd say it was a promising start and I look forward to working with her. Just have to find a manager/agent to help submit stuff.

July 13.
My ScriptForSale group and I went to Sony, where we got the big studio perspective. Big budgets, franchise movies, and big name talent and directors. If one has a period (that is, historical) or SF/Fantasy story, the odds're uphill, but ya gotta find the producer who's into that kind of genre. It'll just take longer, but it'll be worth it. James Schmaus is at the top of my list for my Chinese Joan of Arc script.

Going on 50 minutes of sleep on July 11 caught up with me. I kinda crashed midway through the meetings. I stayed awake just enough and the Sony people didn't notice. :-)

The marathon lasted from 10 A - 5 P. We were invited to watch the screening of an indie film, forgot title. I bowed out. A few later said they liked it, but more said they didn't. I didn't miss out on anything, I'd say.

July 14.
I went to another round of meetings with my associates. We saw more indies and heard more of the same.

July 15.
My final round of meetings.

My group went to the Burbank Hilton. There we attended a nice lil' memorabilia show where we chatted with actors who worked in old and recent TV shows and films. The meetings with the guests were great, too. We got the low down on the writing and directing side this time around. I also met a script consultant/agent broker. Very personable. I think I'll like working with her.

I learned from some "V" actors that the series could be coming back in the next year or so. The lizards are as bad as ever--and hungry for human munchies. And there may be other aliens who aren't too fond of 'em or us.

And I had a nice chat with Ray "Darth Maul" Parks. He shared some bits about his wushu training and what it was like on the Star Wars and X-Men sets. He says he has some upcoming projects that I'll look forward to seeing. When I told him about my Chinese Joan of Arc script, he said I should try Quentin Tarantino's production company also. Doh! I should've known since he released "Hero" in the US a few years back.

I also got 4 signed pictures from Ray and one from Marc Singer of "Mike Donovan" fame on "V" (plus another for free which Marc signed, but didn't like). All nice shots.

After our event ended at 4:30 P, the ScriptForSale group scattered to the winds. I'd followed some people to the Burbank Hilton hotel, but they didn't wait for me to follow 'em back.

Nichevo. Or c'est le vie.

I made my way to Universal Studios, where I met with my awesome cousin. She got me into the press junket for the upcoming "Miami Vice" flick. Saw where the reporters got some snacks and where Jamie Foxx, Colin Farrell, and Gong Li were being interviewed. Gong Li's English has an interesting accent.

I also saw a bit of Wisteria Lane, the crashed 747 from "War of the Worlds," and other sets that showed up in umpteen some films and TV shows.

July 16.
Went home and am getting back into the groove--till I meet with TV execs and attend the Emmys in August.

Must take care of some fiction now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Boris,


I'm glad I got a taste of what I missed.

I get the sense getting the big deal on the first shot is really a tall order unless you have someone big who will champion you, like Spielberg and Zemeckis championing the guy who directed "Monster House." I'm starting to think about other markets, like indies, novels, and short films, as stepping stones. A woman I met through the ProSeries is having her short film released as a DVD in time for Christmas. I'm not sure how much she'll make on it, but I'm sure having the credits is a real plus; makes you look legit.

A guy I hung out with when I when I was out there with Hal's group is getting his script filmed this year. It stars Michael Madsen and Richard Chamberlin and it has a budget of about 2 million. So, I guess I did make some useful contacts.

Cheers,

Steve

Boris Layupan said...

Hi Steve,


>A woman I met through the ProSeries is having her short film released as a DVD in time for Christmas. I'm not sure how much she'll make on it, but I'm sure having the credits is a real plus; makes you look legit.

That sounds good. Wish I could claim the same. Fortunately, there's more than one road to the same destination. Fiction will be a big help for me down the line.

>A guy I hung out with when I when I was out there with Hal's group is getting his script filmed this year. It stars Michael Madsen and Richard Chamberlin and it has a budget of about 2 million. So, I guess I did make some useful contacts.

I'm glad for you. I did meet some potential representation, who I think may help get my stuff sold later on, though.

I am setting myself up to pitch to James Schmaus, co-head of Focus Features productions, who produced and co-wrote "Crouching Tiger." He also collaborates with Ang Lee. I want to get Ang Lee attached to my script. :-) First I'll rewrite, get consultation on my Chinese script and two others, then enter Nichols, Chesterfield, Austin, and Scriptapalooza in 2007 with what I hope will be a killer trio of entries. Right now, I'm preparing six high concept short stories for major fiction markets.

Boris

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog! Awesome site -- really enjoyed reading about your trip to LA

Keep smiling
Rowena

Anonymous said...

Hi, Boris:

You're making all the right moves. It's only a matter of time.

BTW, Laurie H. completed her writing assignment for Paul Haggis on the Black Donnelleys and is back at UCLA's Professional Program. Her movie is in preproduction with backing from producers based in Morocco.

All the best,
Suzanne