Wednesday, October 11, 2006

LESLIE WHAT CRIT

On Sunday, 10-8-06, I got a crit from Leslie What on a teen fantasy tale of mine I dubbed "The Dance." Saying that I'm "fortunate" doesn't begin to cover it. I'm no teen fantasy guru and she did a fantastic job, outlining an easy and hard choice for me to take when I rewrite the story.

Unfortunately, I'm going to pick the hard choice. :-(

"The Dance" is about an ugly duckling teen girl who competes with a beauty queen classmate for a boy with a love potion that's not a love potion.

I'm preparing it for WOTF. An alternate market at Leslie's recommendation is Cicada.

I wrote "The Dance" based on 3 writing prompts: an unattractive person, a distinct smell, and a bowling ball.

I went with a teen girl and geraniums and made the ball magic. I'll be curious to see how the story turns out when I finish rewriting the story of mine that James Patrick Kelly commented on.

6 comments:

Responsible Artist said...

Good God that woman's wordy:)

Write on, Boris!

Leslie

Boris Layupan said...

It's all good.

If I stop, there'll be trouble, I expect.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sound busy, Boris.

Last summer she was one of the 2005 Clarion instructors and I ran into her at Archives Books. Interesting meeting her.

Good luck all around with your work!

Dr. Phil

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks Phil!

I'm eking stuff out slowly and trying m'best.

Good luck with your stories too.

Anonymous said...

Impressive depth of critique. Despite what some might think, this is exactly what writers need. And I think you're right -- the tougher way to fix a story is probably, in the end, the better choice.
regards
TW

Boris Layupan said...

Hopefully, I'll get the tough rewrite done just right.