Saturday, December 23, 2006


SNW 10 COVER RELEASE

I learned today that the SNW 10 cover was released along with a publicity page.

There's a lot of hope among the faithful that the anthology will be renewed despite market changes. I really like the cover, but it does give me the feeling that SNW 10 may be the final voyage.

Me thinks this drawing of the Enterprise D's saucer section crashing in flames was drawn from that trusty ship crashing for the final count on the planet Veridian III in the film "Generations."

And based on the publicity page, the anthology will have stories that examine the meaning of the Federation.


I will not count my chickens before they're hatched. But the stories I turned in this year do explore the benefit the Federation's had on the known galaxy. And I know that the submissions I mailed in this year are better than what I entered in the last two when I finished on the Second Read List. I also received excellent advice from a number of fellow writers. Among them are David DeLee (SNW 8 & 9 author); Phil Kaldon (fellow 2004 Clarionite/physicist); Tom Wilson and several other scribes on Critters. Dayton Ward (Trek novelist and SNW alumnus) also kindly commented on an early draft of one of my stories.

If this is SNW’s last call, I really hope to get in while it’s still there. As Dean Wesley Smith tells us SNW hopefuls, New York is shut down from now till January 2, 2007 or so. News about the TOC (Table of Contents) should come out some time next month.

I’ll see if the gods are with me then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug!

Dayton

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the bit! I was hoping that when you mentioned the SNW 10 cover page that it would include the authors -- ah, but it looks like you'll have to swing in the wind for a little while longer. You know I'm pulling for you! I want to see you make the volume, whether it really is the last in the anthology series or just the last with Dean Wesley Smith or whatever.

Dr. Phil

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks to all of you and the others who've read my subs.

If I get in, it'll be because you all took the time to pick at my writing. =)

Anonymous said...

Cool cover. I'm also WAITing for the phone call or the announcement. I stumbled across SNW last year with about a week before the deadline. So then I (and my occasional writing partner) put together ONE story for this year. I had no idea until reading Dean's forum a couple weeks back that people submit 30+ stories in a year. I assumed one or two stories. Oh, well. And our story doesn't examine the meaning of the Federation, so I'm not too hopeful at this juncture.

Gary

Boris Layupan said...

Good luck.

The people who turn in 20 and 30+ stories are not the norm. There are people who turned in 10+ subs and didn't place.

There are some people who've written five or less stories and got in.

More submissions can certainly add to one's odds, but the quality of the story and how well it works with the theme of the year's anthology counts the most.

Dean challenges people to write people stories in two weeks, one week, overnight, etc. But the majority of those stories don't place.

Some winning stories are first drafts written over a few days. Others are rewrites submitted two or three times. There's no standard path for a winning story.

Anywho, I've been knocking on the door for the last few years. Hope I get through it this time around.

Boris