Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"Stars and Stripes Forever" Coverage Report

Today, I got my coverage report on my nautical tale "Stars and Stripes Forever."

The reader, a guy I think, gave me a ton of high marks across the board. Plot, dialogue, etc. are fine. And the concept of a real-life navy lieutenant struggling to destroy an American frigate captured by pirates is "compelling."

I just need to work on some character relationships and rearrange some scenes and sequences. I also have to deal with the situation that historical scripts are harder to sell than contemporary stories and it's on the water, making it harder and more expensive to film.

Ergo the script has to be virtually perfect.

Nice challenge.

It's "one great rewrite or two away from being something special" and "it's close, but not quite there yet."

For now, it's a "Pass."

I'll see about reworking it when I get the chance.

I expect it'll do well in contests, though. And I think I may want to write the novel before marketing the script, too. That would help sell the script if the book did well.

Anyhow, the wheels are in motion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like two reluctant pass - darn! Sooo close, Boris.

I wish you lots of luck in the contests!

Best,

Catherine

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks.

I'm rarin' to go at it again.

I hope to hear about your woohoos soon.

Boris