Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sit Rep

I've been busy...

I'm working on the latest draft of my space opera SF short story for WOTF. I spent about two weeks writing out the first draft of the current version by hand, now I'm typing it out (and making changes).

I'm up to page 15 and 2575 words. Feeling very hopeful.

I've also gotten my reading orders from Walter Jon Williams and Connie Willis to read the Turkey City lexicon for workshops and a bunch of short stories and 1 novella.

Here's the list:

"Nova," by Samuel R. Delany.

"Flowers for Algernon" (the original novelet, not the novel) in:
THE HUGO WINNERS, ed. Isaac Asimov
BEST SF 4, ed. Edmund Crispin
BEST FROM F AND SF 9, ed. Robert P. Mills
5TH ANNUAL OF THE YEAR'S BEST SF, ed. Judith Merril
THE MAGAZINE OF F AND SF: A THIRTY-YEAR PERSPECTIVE, ed.Ed Ferman
TEN TOP STORIES, ed. D.A. Sohn
SF HALL OF FAME, ed. Robert Silverberg (got this one)

"The Light of Other Days," by Bob Shaw.

"Lot," by Ward Moore in MY FAVORITE SCIENCE FICTION STORY,
edited by Martin H. Greenberg

BEST FROM F AND SF 3, ed. Anthony Boucher and J. Francis McComas
LOT AND LOT'S DAUGHTER with a new intro by Michael Swanwick

"Light of Days" was available free online. I bought the rest off of Amazon when a search of my local library coop turned up nada.

I paid $1.48 for 4 books with $3.99 postage for each. Bloody postal increases.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to reading. On top of my other stuff, my story, work...

Ugh...

Looking forward to "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" this weekend.

I guess.

I expect to review that.

Hailing frequencies closed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Boris,

I've read both versions of "Flowers for Algernon," but that was long ago. I don't recognize the short stories, but if they are old I might have read some of them.

Wish I could make Tao's, I got to talk to Connie Willis for a few minutes at the Nebula Awards Banquet.

Larry Hodges

Boris Layupan said...

It's good that I'm getting these stories, but my book pallet's already full....

Too bad we can't trade one-liners this year.

Boris

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy watching how a story evolves -- I've read both the novelette and the novel of Flowers for Algernon. My sister must've read both versions in multiple classses in junior and senior high. I ran into it again the other year when I picked up one of The Best of SF books.

I've also run into multiple versions of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game -- there's a short story, a novelette, a novella, the novel -- and then of course the same story from Bean's POV in Ender's Shadow. What fascinates me is how the whole story survives from the shortest version to the novel. This is why I am expecting that if/when they finally get the movie version done, they actually have a "chance" of sticking to the actual story, because I know that the story can be condensed down to under 10,000 words.

I also have a slim paperback by Arthur C. Clarke called The Lost Worlds of 2001, which details how the short story The Sentinel became 2001: A Space Odyssey, which chapters and fragments from intermediate versions. I think this last book was the first one I bought where I began to think seriously of the craft of writing, and not just reading for pleasure. I'd run across The Sentinel before The Lost Worlds of 2001, and I remember thinking, "How the hell did they get 2001 out of this?" (grin)

Hope you have a good time reading.

Dr. Phil

Boris Layupan said...

I'll look forward to reading these stories.

I just have to make room for them on my shelves (and probably reinforce the supports).