Saturday, November 18, 2006

SNW 10 Reading Progress

I've learned that as of Nov 17, 2006, Dean Wesley Smith has gotten through the first read of all submitted manuscripts. I believe that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000-4000 stories.

Lots of fun.

Dean has stated on his forum that he's picked out more than 190 stories for the Second Read List (SRL). Now he's working to cut that down to under 100. All the stories are supposed to be very good--and hard to pick from. So he's going to get brutal in the next go round.

By my rough calculations, SRL stories are in the top 4.75% of stories.

Around 25 stories, give or take, that are good enough to be in the anthology, but aren't picked go on the Alternate List (AL). They're in the top 1.20% of submissions.

And the 23 that make the cut into the SNW anthology are in the top 0.58%.

Whew!

I've been on the SRL in the last two years. I know that I turned in some really strong tales this year--better than what I've done before. Hopefully, I can make the jump from the SRL to the anthology--especially if SNW 10 will be the last hurrah.

As a latin saying goes, "Tempus omnia relevant."

"Time reveals everything" in other words.

Dean says he'll report after January 1, 2007. At that point I'll see if the gods're with me.

I wonder which ones I should make offerings to?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an excellent writer and should definitely keep writing. I enjoyed being able to sample your talent for free! If you keep plugging away, someday I’ll have to pay for it.

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks for the compliment!

If I don't break into SNW 10, I know I'll get in somewhere else with other stories.

Good luck with your own writing