Saturday, September 16, 2006



Clarion Moves

On September 11, 2006, Board of Directors for the Clarion workshopped announced that Clarion will pull up its roots and leave Michigan State University (MSU) for the University of California San Diego (UCSD) starting in 2007.

Considering everything that's been happening over the last 5 years or so, I can't say I'm surprised.

MSU slashed Clarion's funding around 2003 (I forget exactly when). This led to a whole domino effect that affected the workshop at all levels, which I experienced first-hand.

After attending a great Odyssey 2000 workshop, I applied to Clarion a few times:
* 2001 (alternate list)
* 2002 (alternate list) Clarion West 2002 also but rejected. :-( I wanted Dan Simmons as an instructor again (had him at Odyssey 2000), and there were plenty of other good instructors that year. (Don't know where I placed).
* 2003 Didn't apply. Too busy with UCLA screenwriting classes.
* 2004 I applied one last time. I wouldn't have minded too badly if I hadn't been accepted since I was also attending the Master Class in Oregon run by Dean Smith and Kris Rusch. (It was scheduled for 2005 too, but got cancelled. The 2004 Master Class was the last; so I was real lucky to get in when I did.)

I placed second on the high alternate list. The notification deadline came and went. A few days later, I learned that I made it in after another applicant ahead of me couldn't clear time away from her job to attend.

Anyhow, I became a 2004 Clarionite.

My class was the first of two (Clarion 2005 also) to stay off-campus. Clarion 2006 was the last class to gather at MSU and stay on-campus. My classmates and I didn't experience the famed MSU grad student dorm and cafeteria food. And it was well after Damon Knight and Kate Wilhelm stopped teaching at Clarion. Some people bought a few squirt guns, but didn't deploy them for the traditional squirt gun fight. (Can't remember seeing any fireflies, but there was plenty of white pollen hanging in the air to set allergies off). We stayed in the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house, which was actually nice. We all had separate rooms and wireless internet. The house mother was something of a Nazi in sheep's clothing and forbade us the services of the house cook and kitchen. We used the kitchen anyway (and cleaned up afterwards).

I was one of 3 SF writers in a group stacked with literary and slipstream writers. Some bordered on soft fantasy, but there were no traditional sword and sorcery scribes.

Instructors included:
Week 1 Nina Kiriki Hoffman
Week 2 Suzy Charnas
Week 3 Nancy Kress
Week 4 Andy Duncan
Mid-week 4 to mid-week 5 Editor Gordon Van Gelder
Week 5-6 Kelly Link & Jeff Ford

Nancy Kress was the only SF writer in that group.

My Clarion experience didn't go the way I'd expected it to, but it was still nice to have gone.

I'd somehow expected Clarion to stay somewhere east of the Mississippi, but the dice didn't roll that way. From what I've learned, only UCSD provided the financial support the workshop needed to support itself and bring it back to the level it was at 10-20 years ago. I wonder what Clarion was like back then?

Considering that the workshop is in San Diego now, a few names that come to mind since Clarion West is taken are Clarion Sun, Clarion Beach, and Clarion Surf.

It's interesting to witness the end of an era. I'll be curious to see what comes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that there was a big vote coming up about the future of Clarion East's location. I know that there was a problem with MSU in the past, but it does seem like it would be a terrible break in tradition to have it moved somewhere else. Whether in the KKG house or the dorms, it's a shared experience for everyone who's been there, and I do think it would be sad to lose that.

With faculty members like Liz giving it their full support, I really think that Michigan is the best place for it.

Kim

Boris Layupan said...

I'm not up on all the particulars.

I wonder why Michigan State may be an unsuitable location and what a new one would in place of Michigan?

Anonymous said...

Kim, Boris, and all--

There are indeed a lot of aspects of the situation you probably don't know about.

Like you, I have fond memories of fireflies and heat bugs, the woodsy walk along the stream, the ducks, dramatic thunderstorms, excursions into East Lansing, all the sights, smells, and sounds of MSU that mingle with the whole intense experience of the workshop itself. But what makes the workshop so intense, memorable, and formative has little to do with where it is held. Wherever Clarion goes, there will be the hum of particular insects, the special feel of the air, the weather students come to think of as Clarion weather, the town whose streets and shops mesh with the memory of stories read and written, and of course, the new friends loved and kept, loved and lost.

A change of venue wouldn't have been considered if there hadn't been compelling reasons.

--NancyE

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks for the info.

Speaking for myself, I didn't get particularly attached to East Lansing. Besides Michigan, I've been to Oregon, New Hampshire, Nebraska, and LA in a quest for writing instruction over the last 6 years.

Even though Clarion is moving to sunny southern Cal (or especially since it is) future Clarionites will follow.

Clarion's more about the people than the location anyhow.

Boris

Anonymous said...

> But what makes the workshop so intense, memorable, and formative has little to do with where it is held.

Yes, but FWIW, the location and these shared experiences are something that Clarionites of all past classes (well, since the move from Penna.) can bond over. It's been odd and cool to talk to Big Name Authors who went to Clarions before mine and be able to share common experiences with them based on us both having gone through the East Lansing experience.

If future Clarionites don't have this shared location -- well, they'll still be cool people, and it'll still be "Clarion", but for me personally, I doubt I'll feel the same sort of strong, automatic connection to them as I do with others that have gone through Michigan, just as I don't really feel any sort of "automatic bond" with folks who went through Clarion West.

To me, arguably the greatest value that Clarion provides is in the relationships and network it grants participants access to. Obviously I'm not going to automatically snub someone who wants to talk to me about Clarion, just because she went to it at a different location than I did. But we're not going to have as much to talk about, either.

My $0.02 -- again, and I'll stop trying to flood the board with my opinion. Maybe. Soon.

BK

Anonymous said...

I take your point, BK. Hey, I went to Clarion twice upon a time (yes twice, don't ask) and whenever I was teaching I always made it a point to walk around to my old dorms. But you know what, they were halfway across campus -- a good twenty minutes away from Van Hoosen. The dining hall was different too (and the food was better). So yeah, the river, and the library and readings at Curious are shared experience. I'l miss them, but I'll trade nostalgia for a stronger workshop.

Besides, the archives are moving too, and that means that students in 2007 and 2017 will be able to look up my old Clarion stories and take heart from their utter incompetence.

All best,
Jim (Don't call me James Patrick) Kelly

Boris Layupan said...

Clarion in California...

I'm sure the University of California will offer excellent support, facilities, weather, etc.

But Clarion won't be the same.

To borrow a sports analogy, the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants ended when the teams went to LA and San Fran respectively.


With Clarion West and Clarion South in place, a conspiracy buff may wonder if there's a movement to place all the Clarions in the Pacific Rim?

The San Diego beaches with the warm sun and cool ocean breezes are nice, though.

C'est le vie.

Or nichevo (roughly "can't be helped") as a Russian would put it.

Anonymous said...

Well, if it had to move, it couldn't have wound up in a better location. San Diego rulz -- well, except for its lack of occupational diversity and high cost of living, but I'm guessing that won't impact C07 much.

bk'd

Anonymous said...

One advantage for Clarion in San Diego that I see is the San Diego Comic-Con. Next year it'll run right in the middle of Clarion in SD, which would make for a fun field trip (not as fun as Readercon, I don't think, because it's so enormous, but then I'm a misanthrope). Another advantage is the weather; you won't suffer as much without AC there.

Boris Layupan said...

All true.

One has to love the warm sun, cool ocean breezes, the soft crash of the waves, the board walks along the beach...

I kinda wish I hadn't gone when I did.