Friday, April 21, 2006



ALBATROSS SCREENWRITER QUORUM DISSOLVED

On Friday, April 21, 2006, I deleted the above screenwriting quorum. I'd started it during October 2005 when I started a screenwriting course.

I participate in a number of fiction groups, but hadn't found a screenwriter group I liked, so I tried to form my own.

Brilliant, yes. Simple...

Not counting myself, there was a peak of 16 members. I had hopes and plans to expand membership and even start in-group workshops.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

Posting was sporadic at best, potential members blew me off and/or disqualified themselves, and my topic strings ended up talking to themselves.

This group was actually my second. The first group, The Quorum, was formed from among three people I met in a fiction group, who said they wanted to spend time participating in a screenwriting group.

That was only what they said.

They made the Albatross Quorum seem kickin' by comparison. My first group lasted only a month or so.

After some consideration and a small chat with a fiction acquaintance, who kindly joined without being invited, I issued a deletion notice just three days earlier to the Albatross Quorum.

Only one person responded, expressing his regrets at the group's passing.

In retrospect, I can't say I'm surprised.

In my final missive to the Albatross Quorum, I wrote something along the lines of:

subj: The Final Goodbye

The Albatross Quorum goes into the night the way it did through life.

Quietly.

No rage, rage against the dying of the light.

'Tis a pity.

-----------------------------------------------------

:-(

Nichevo. Russian term. Loosely translated as "Can't be helped," I believe.

Where one door closes, another opens. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Now I must do my latest screenwriting assignment, complete my current script rewrite, then get back to fiction and make it into a pro small fiction market whether it wants to admit me or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The content was good, but the members didn't get involved, so the group became useless.

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks for your impression and for joining and pitching in when you did, Larry.

I'd hope to do things with the group, but it wasn't meant to be...