Sunday, April 16, 2006




ODYSSEY WORKSHOP QUOTES


When I attended the Odyssey 2000 Fantasy Workshop, I was quoted twice in the crit circle by Jeanne Cavealos, the writer/editor who created the workshop and runs it magnificently.

She got me when I didn't know it: :-)

  • "With a plot, it will be that much better."
  • "The image I had of this guy was he was slender and prissy and needed to be roughed up a little."
Quotes of my workshop classmates are at http://www.sff.net/odyssey/grads00.html

An acquaintance of mine, Larry Hodges, a published short fiction comic SF/fantasy writer (http://www.larrytt.com/fantasy/) has shared some quotes with me that he's preparing for Jeanne's consumption at his upcoming Odyssey 2006 workshop.

Enjoy the read:

  • Am I the only one here who is smiling and nodding his head and has no idea what this story is about?
  • The main conflict in the story is our disagreement over whether it needs conflict.
  • If I used the same word over and over, it must have been a really good word.
  • Do the aliens wear pants?
  • Those aren’t typos, that’s creative writing.
  • I think I understand that we’re not supposed to understand the ending.
  • That’s an awful lot of words without a plot.
  • It’s a nice story, but some characters and a plot would improve it.
  • I like it when the main character dies at the start.
  • Stop trying to make me write good!
  • Do slimy aliens have to wash their clothes a lot?
  • The opening made it clear that this was a story we didn’t want to read.
  • The story had a great ending, if it had only ended at the end.
  • If I had wanted you to tell me everything instead of showing, I’d have asked.
  • I love how you resolved the climax by never getting to it.
  • That’s one of the best written stories I’ve read, but what happened?
  • I guess it’s plausible since you’ve established the characters don’t act plausibly.
  • Do all the bad guys have to die?
  • It was rather interesting, but in a boring sort of way.
  • I like the story’s title, but isn’t that false advertising?
  • I like how the story started right in the middle of the action, but will there be a sequel that explains what was going on?
  • I know it’s not plausible, but was it interesting?

No comments: