Monday, June 18, 2007

Larry Hodges Critique

This past weekend, I got a critique on my "The Way of the Peacemaker" opus from an emerging fantasy writer, Larry Hodges. Someone whom I met by chance on Critters in 2005 and have had the fortune of dealing with. He's had several short stories published and is working on his first novel. I'm looking forward to seeing what he turns out down the road.

Anywho, Larry pointed out some strengths and bugs that helped me fine tune the story for Critters and Taos before I shoot it off to WOTF. A few small changes, and it's so much better. I feel really good about this draft.

Thanks Larry!

2 comments:

Larry Hodges said...

Glad you liked the critique. I did a count of all the F&SF short story or novel chapter critiques I've done over the past 2.5 years (I keep track!), and found I've done 341. That's one every 2.6 days, and my critiques average well over 1000 words each. About half (177) were done at Critters, where I've had a number of my own stories critiqued, with another 70 done at Odyssey last year. (I've sold 12 total, including a few that went through critters, such as "Defeating Death," which recently sold to Weird Tales - Boris did a good critique of that one!) Anyway, these days I'm pretty systematic at critiquing, and am good at some aspects about plot and character. I've got 12 more stories to critique over the next few weeks....from TNEO and the Baltimore SF Writers Group.
-Larry Hodges (Active Member, SFWA, and 2006 Odyssey Grad)

Boris Layupan said...

All that critting showed in your comments. Different from the first one I got from you, which was also very helpful.

I'll look forward to hearing about TNEO and your Baltimore group.