Wednesday, May 31, 2006

UCLA SCREENPLAY CONTEST WINNER

Let's see...

First order of business, I'm up to page 15 in my latest Star Trek fiction rough draft and

I placed as a winner in the UCLA Professional Programs Screenplay Competition. Woohoo!

I don't know where I rank among the five winners, but I'm third in alphabetical order.

I don't know what I'm supposed to feel yet.

The script I placed with is "Heaven's Mandate." It's a tale about a Chinese Joan of Arc who fights with a magic sword to thwart a power-mad noblewoman from making herself the empress of China.

Anyone curious can find an excerpt in my
"Heaven's Mandate" Screenplay Excerpt post.

I'll look forward to learning where I finished and what the winners get.

Also, here's the e-mail I received from the Professional Programs Office:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please join us in congratulating the winners and honorable mentions for the 2005-2006 UCLA Professional Programs screenplay competition.

ALL students who participated in the contest are to be commended for their hard work. It should be noted that this contest is one of subjectivity. Many judges participated in the contest, and while one may not have preferred a particular script, another may have adored it (just like one agent may love your work, and another may say it’s not for them). There were many exceptional scripts that did not make it to the final round, and many of the judges have told us that the quality of this year’s submissions was extremely high. We'd also like to extend our deepest thanks to all of the judges for their participation.

Without further ado...

WINNERS (in abc order)

Barbara Curry
THE NOMINEE

Ryan Gilmore
THE DEVIL’S PLAYGROUND

Boris Layupan
HEAVEN’S MANDATE

David Mango
BLACK’S SONATA

Peter D. Pham
DERAILED


HONORABLE MENTIONS (in abc order)

Adriana Espinosa
SONS OF ILLUSION

Shaun Kosta
THE POSER

Susan Manard
EXTRA INNINGS

Robert Tomaguchi
EXHUME

Russ Tyler
TWOFACE

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Boris - Just saw the results!!! WOW - CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WIN at UCLA for your script. That's awesome and then some. Best of luck to you - this could be start of something big. Hope so. Pretty cool and that both you and Dave Mango took honors - two from the same class - our class. I think that's terrific!!!

Hope all is great!!! Devon Wickens

Anonymous said...

Dear Boris--

Many congratulations on being named one of the winners of the UCLA Professional Program Screenwriting Competition. I was very pleased to see your name. You are a very good writer and deserve every success. All the Best, Laurie

Anonymous said...

That is VERY cool. Congrats.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Boris,

Congratulations!

Actually, I read your script this week. I was one of the judges. Great job. You are improving as a writer, in the sense of keeping a simple SPINE running thru your epic movie. While your name wasn't on the script, now I can see the similarity with the script we worked on last year--the focus on the Sword, the honor, justice & loyalties of characters.

Keep going forth.
Kris

Anonymous said...

Boris:

Congrats! I was one of the judges in the early rounds and remember reading your script (obviously I didn't know it was yours). I thought it was very good and gave it high marks.

Congrats again.

Tim Albaugh
http://www.timalbaugh.com/movie.html
http://www.popularfilms.com/

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Boris,

Excellent win! I hope it helps accelerate your screenwriting career! Movie
script writing is probably the toughest writing market to get into, but also the
most profitable and fun.

Best of luck with your scripts and short stories!

Al

Anonymous said...

Great Huge Congratulations, Boris! It is no surprise to me that your first "win" is in screenwriting. I think your sense of painting a scene works very well in that format. And this story sounds like a lot of fun.

I am very pleased for you. Congrats!

Dr. Phil

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Boris. What great news! I hope wonderful things come of it.

Anonymous said...

Huge congratulations, Boris!!!! A wonderful feather in your cap!!

Write on!!!!

Lew

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the contest!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Boris, way to go, man! -- The closest I've been is quarterfinals. Best wishes with that script.

Paul Hopper

Anonymous said...

To Boris:

Yipee. You sure deserve a prize. I looked up your sample: Cool. Very marketable. Very gutsy of you to hold out for the director position, though I think there must be able directors in Hong Kong who could do a fine job. But it's your baby and you obviously have strong feelings about it.

All the best,
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Boris!!!

hope everything goes well for you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Boris!

That's really great news. From what I've seen, you deserve it. I wish you the best in all of your writing endeavors.

Francelia

Anonymous said...

Congrats indeed to all! We rejoice to have so creative a contingent of devoted, dedicated screenscribes.

Richard

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks for your sentiments.

I'm looking forward to what comes next. (sort of)

Good luck with your own projects.

Boris

Boris Layupan said...

Melissa,

Thanks for the thought. I hope to build on this so you can tell your friends what your brother's up to.

Anonymous said...

Boris...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Jack

Boris Layupan said...

Jack,

Thanks for your pearls of wisdom as I penned the first draft in class.

Hopefully I can push forward the other scripts I wrote under your tutelage, too.

Boris

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you, Borris. Hopefully this is the beginning of BIG things for you.

Sincerly,

E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks EC.

I'm not sure what'll happen next, but I'll know soon enough.

Good luck with your own projects. I hope to hear about your sales, too.

Boris

Anonymous said...

Hey Boris, Congratulations on your win!!! That's really cool!

cheers, Karen

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Boris!

Anonymous said...

Boris congratulations, I'm happy for you. I hope this will help you to grow a career. Best wishes, Paola

Anonymous said...

Boris,

Hi. Congratulations on your contest win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's great news! You've really worked hard, and it's paying off. The screenplay sounds really cool and original!

Congratulations again!

Jeanne

www.jeannecavelos.com
www.sff.net/odyssey

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks Jeanne!

You gave me the foundation I've used to get to this point and move beyond.

Boris

Anonymous said...

Hi Boris,

I wanted to drop you a line to say congratulations!

All the best,


Candee Kramer

Anonymous said...

Congratulations I knew you could (and would) do it.... :-)

You are a talented writer and I've always admired your resolve for getting things done... There are always bumps in the road, and you've always shown perserverance to see things through... Don't ever let things get you down... (you are your own worst enemy)... Once again, congratulations! It's well-deserved. You have what it takes to rise to the top.

Melissa