Friday, September 07, 2007

Austin Film Festival Results

Earlier this week, I got the results for the scripts I subbed to the Austin Film Festival (AFF).

"Stars and Stripes Forever" didn't advance to the Second Round.

"Heaven's Mandate" made it to the Second Round and almost advanced to the Semi-Finals.

I'm told that Second Round scripts fall in the top 10-12% of the 4000+ scripts submitted this year.

And I'm told that if I'm able to attend the conference this year, I'll get a badge that'll give me producer-level access to panels, parties, film viewings, etc. and that us Second Rounders and higher will be feted by the AFF and we'll get a chance to say "Hi" to major Hollywood players.

Nice.

Two sticking points are getting enough time away from work (Oct 11-18) and getting the money. Even with the discounts I'd get from the AFF for lodging and travel, it won't be cheap. After going to Taos, I hadn't been planning on going anywhere for a long time.

I'll have to see if I can swing this AFF trip.

But since I have the feeling that "Heaven's Mandate" is more of a foreign film project that Hong Kong would like better than Hollywood, I wonder how benficial going to AFF will be for me?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Boris. Progress is progress. Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Boris:

That's a tough question. All Film Festivals are beneficial to you, however if you can't make to this one, there are zillions of others.

Best,
M

Anonymous said...

Boris, I always tell people if they can afford to go to these type of events, go. If not, not. If you do go, hope for everything, expect nothing.

Congrats for that high up in the competition.

Write on...... and go to Hong Kong!!

Lew

Anonymous said...

Boris:

A chance to party in Texas is always worth it.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Boris,

Going AFF at this time? At the least, if you're an outgoing funloving person, you could have a good time meeting new people, seeing films, schmoozing & learning about the biz.

If it's affordable and you can get access to all the parties & perks ... and you're not shy and do well with people ... why not go?

Peace,

Kris

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks everyone.

I'm hopeful about making it out to Austin.

Time will tell.

Boris

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and have a great time in Austin.

Oz

Anonymous said...

That's great Boris, congratulations.

Austin is a great town, I hope you manage to go.


Kelly

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Boris! Enjoy Austin!

Matt

Anonymous said...

Boris, congratulations on the script making it into the top echelon. (sp? no dictionary at the moment) Austin is a tough festival. If they are telling you to come out, you should; "They" don't do that for everybody. (!) You will see lots of stars, indie & mainstream. If anything you'll be with other people who want to make movies, and people who have the finances to make movies. Or go for no other reason than to attend the indie film festival. :)

Good job!

Ronya FM