Saturday, January 27, 2007

MY SNW RESULTS

I got the manuscripts for my SNW 10 subs in the mail today.

My "Hero of the Empire" tale didn't make the cut. Too bad. It was one of my faves.

"Trial by Fire and Mis-Q's" got to the Second Read List (SRL), which is about the quarter-finals.

According to a note on my letter from Dean Wesley Smith, "History's Pawn" came "very close" to making it into the anthology.

That would make it a Finalist story.

I'm not sure how I feel about that since I was aiming for a publication rather than a "very close."

"Shikata ga nai."

All I can do is move on.

Since the Strange New Worlds anthology is no more, there go a couple of ideas I had for what would've been SNW 11. One of 'em was Lieutenant Reginald Barclay saving the Enterprise E from a changeling and a boarding party of Jem'Hadar warriors. Along the way, Barclay blew up a Hirogen relay station drawing power from a black hole.

It would've made an interesting addition to Pocket Book's "Dominion War" tales, me thinks.

Anywho, I'm moving ahead with my "The Way of the Peacemaker" and other original stories.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's how I'd view it: With a dual sense of satisfaction and disappointment.

Keep scribblin'.

TW

Anonymous said...

Congrats for doing so well in the SNW contest. Not quite as sweet as publishing, I'm sure, but a good show regardless.

Kim Gillett

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Encouraging signs. Keep up the good work.

Arthur

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks everyone!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the "close but no cigar" response. I've had many similar experiences. Hang in there, Boris. IMHO, tenacity is the most valuable quality a writer can have. Possibly even more important than talent, since talent is nothing if one doesn't keep trying.

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks for the insight, Nancy.

I feel more resigned than numb or sad to not making it into SNW.

Quitting is the furthest thing from my mind.

Even if I'd gotten in, I don't feel that it would've been something I could rest my laurels on.

Have fun with your own writing.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you never stop working, Boris!

Cherie Wein

Boris Layupan said...

I'm no speed demon, but I try to be steady like the tortoise.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Boris. Getting close in that anthology is awesome!

Rebecca S.

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks for the congrats!

Hopefully I can get over the hump sooner rather than later in another
pro market.

Boris

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if congratulations or condolences are proper, so I'll combine them: ccoonngdroalteunlcaetsions!

-Larry Hodges

Boris Layupan said...

Danke and damn or: ddaanmkne!