Tuesday, January 23, 2007

SNW 10 RESULTS

The results have come in today for the final SNW anthology.

I didn't make it.

Nichevo.

Or as the Japanese would say, "Shikata ga nai." (Can't be helped.)

I did my best, but my submissions apparently fell short.

The good thing is the waiting's over. The winners were contacted on about December 20, 2006. Usually the announcement is made on January 3 of the new year, but it was put off according to undefined legal issues on the part of the Pocket Book lawyers.

SNW was unique in that it was a pro publication consisting of Trek stories for the fans written by the fans. IMHO, a drawback of how it was run was that multiple writers could be published in it up to three times maximum. I feel that the SNW anthology could have been run like the WOTF anthology: winners are published once and then ineligible for further contests thereafter in order to give voice to a wider range of writers--especially since SNW had to be renewed yearly and its life was limited.

Anyhow, SNW was only one market. Getting in would've been a nice feather in one's cap, but not a laurel to rest one's writing career on.

It's time to leave SNW and Trek behind me and concentrate on WOTF and other bigger and better things.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the SNW anthology. However, it sounds like this frees you up to focus your energy elsewhere.

Arthur

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks.

It definitely does.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't make it.

Still, the fact that you had tried and had a story submitted is a good thing -- you can't win the race without having a horse in the field. And the more stories you write, the more experience you have.

Dr. Phil

Boris Layupan said...

Thanks.

SNW was certainly a learning experience.

I'm looking forward to moving on.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the SNW anthology thing.

One of the things I've heard at writer's workshop after writer's workshop is NEVER try to start your career by writing Star Trek or similar type stuff, unless you do so just for fun. You can always come back to it later, but you have much better prospects by focusing on the various F&SF magazines and/or F&SF novels.

Larry

Boris Layupan said...

The only reason why I wrote for SNW was because I liked Trek (and thought it'd be great to get an early pro credit in the process).

The one good thing about this closed chapter is that I continued to develop my writing as I went.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Boris