Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 2

Sigh...

Another 14 hour day over.

I had no idea AFF would be such an event. I may want to take a break when I get back home...which won't be till Oct. 19.

I attended 4 panels from 9-4P, 3 of which were for us Second Rounders. Two were the same, Q&A with producers, agents, and managers about the mysteries of the film biz.

Good thing I took my production company class earlier this year. I knew just about everything the panelists shared.

The other panel was run by working writers/directors, who answered questions about working in the film biz full-time. Very interesting.

The other event was the couch chat with writer/director Robin Swicord, who did among other things the adaptation of "Memoirs of A Geisha." Interesting to hear about how the old boys club in Tinseltown repressed women directors, film composers, etc. for so many years.

At lunchtime, I got some free food at the B-side lounge again. I expect to try a restaurant or two in the next few days since the JJ subs're wearing a tad thin now.
I also called up the cabbie, who said he didn't find my folder. I then called the movie theater, and they didn't find anything neither.

Dag gum it.

When the panels were over, I went to a Texas BBQ event and got some free viddles: turkey, beef, beans, and tater salad. Could've gotten more if'n I wanted, but I decided to not overindulge.

I chatted with some filmmakers about their films, including one Jennifer Howard, who lives almost in spittin' distance of me back home. I'm gonna make a point of seeing her group's flick tomorrow.

Today, I saw a documentary of the split and eventual reconciliation of a Vietnamese woman's family by the Vietnam war, "Oh, Saigon" Unfortunately, I missed the first half when the generous folks who gave me a ride got lost after a late start. The second half was plenty good, though. I hear tell this documentary will come out on PBS come next May. I'll look forward to seeing what I missed.

With the same people, I also saw an autobiographical indie feature called "Numb," starring Matthew Perry. He plays the director, who had a "depersonality"? problem or some such. Matthew done good, and without putting on his Chandler routine, too.

There was a party, but with the night progressin' as it was, I thought it best to ride my late night bus back to the hostel sober.

Must catch a few hours of sleep for this morning's activities now.

No comments: