Thursday, October 18, 2007

Day 8

I saw my final flick for my time at the 2007 Austin Film Festival (AFF): "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead."

A thriller about two brothers who rob a jewelry store--owned by their parents. They mess it up, and everything goes downhill from there. A simple story told in a nonlinear way. There were a few walking-through scenes, but the film still moved along. No happy ending with this flick, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I considered going to the wrap up party, but I decided to head back to my hostel before the main bus lines shut down and rest up for my pickup tomorrow morning.

AFF was an interesting experience. I didn't really learn anything major about the business or writing, but I got to talk to some other writers and emerging indie directors.

A lot of people here in Central Texas are very friendly and hospitable. Going to AFF was worth doing at least once. I'll know better what to expect the next time I come out to Austin. Don't know when that'll be as I don't plan on coming out to a film festival every year.

Must do some packing now and get ready for my flight home.

Hailing frequencies closed.

No comments: